Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – Stieg Larsson



Yippee.. am done with another book after a long time.. and even started writing my review. Seems like my predictions on turning completely lazy or sacrificing all time for things which do not mark any milestones are obsolete. J
“The girl with The Dragon Tattoo” – one of the books which I saw constantly in the newspaper reviews, new additions to the Sale Ads and on my table, reminding the list of books I have to tick off this year. Before getting into some serious books, I was tempted to read one last book from my wishlist and then try my hands with all these professional reading, career development, leadership, business management, etc. which you anyhow end up spending all your time at work.
So back to Stieg’s.. It was depressing to find that he was not alive to witness the world-wide phenomenon his books had stirred. This mini story on the front cover and the word “Tattoo” and “Girl” had kindled my interest and I should say that the book did not disappoint me till the last page. I started with reading 2 pages a day due to the minimum time I had to spend on things which are of real interests. But then, ended up carrying this book wherever I went.
It is basically a murder mystery which has to be solved after 40 years. It seems impossible with the various complications that happens on that day and the thorough combing of events for 37 years, resulting in no great clues/guesses that could lead to Harriet Vanger’s body. Along with the mystery, the book also describes on a financial empire of Wennerstorm functioning in the structure of a parasite on another. The third plot which incessantly stitches these pieces is the Girl with a dragon tattoo..Lisbeth Salander.
A messy child, fallen into wrong circumstances for multiple years, finds a way to live in the society she remotely understands. Until, 3/4th of the book, I could not convince myself for naming the book on her. Though she has an intriguing character, and it was good to read about her life, the way she similarizes a dragon, it did not make much relevance to the crust of the story, rather to the question.. “Who killed Harriet? “ But, when I was done with the book, it made all sense justifying the leading Dragon Girl. As the question was answered well in advance, I had little interest to complete the rest of the book. But, the author had made good attempts to make me stick until the last page. And surprisingly, the last page had a lasting effect to hold on to Salander for some more time…
Bought this book in a sale for Rs.255 against an original price of Rs.299. Published first in 2005 in Sweden. Interesting read. Can be read once. Has the power to glue you to your seats. I did a 3 AM to 9:30 AM on a weekday..
:P

No comments:

Post a Comment